BBQ Soy Curls
Serve over rice, baked potatoes, tossed in a salad or make sandwhich- think “pulled pork”.
This recipe can be modified to meet most flavour profiles, endless dish possibilities!
For a full list of ingredients and suggested items click here.
- Soak the Curls/Chunks/Grounds in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and add to skillet with oil and BBQ sauce.
- Brown the protein, turning often.
- Salt to taste and enjoy!
Let sit overnight in the fridge for an even stronger flavour!
Also, we reccomend letting the proteins soak in vegetable or Chick’n broth instead of water. If creating an Asian inspired dish you can even add Umami Bomb for an even deeper flavour!
You can use bbq sauce or taco sauce to cook your jackfruit in for a different flavour profile! Mix it up and change it from time to time to keep things interesting. Make it into a taco salad with spinach and lettuce, drizzle with a sriracha mayo dressing.
Cook it with fish sauce to make it a vegan fish taco!
- 2 20oz cans green jackfruit in water or brine , drained, rinsed, and chopped (see instructions)
- 1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion , sliced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon agave
- ½ lime , juiced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 taco shells , hard or soft (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 avocado , sliced
- ¼ red onion , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro , roughly chopped
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, broth, agave, lime juice and all the spices to the pot and cover. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the jackfruit softens slightly, and about ½ of the liquid is absorbed. About 5 minutes.
- Now take a potato masher, and smash all the jackfruit up to get that shredded texture. If you find it a bit wet, just cook a little longer. If you find it a little dry, just add a splash more vegetable broth.
- Warm the taco shells according to the package directions. When warmed, add a scoop of the jackfruit, and top with an avocado slice, a couple red onion slices, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Or you can top with whatever your favourite taco toppings are! I also love a squeeze of hot sauce.